We all know that when a storm hits, it’s important to be ready and reach out to qualified contractors – not storm chasers. Make sure you don’t hire a fly-by-night contractor who will take your money and run.
Here are Griffin Roofing & Construction’s best practices after a storm:
- Make sure the contractor is registered with the state.
- Is the contractor locally owned and operated? Who knows the area better than a local business?
- Are Inspections & Estimates offered? A reputable contractor will inspect, access any problems and accurately estimate the issues.
- Be careful about allowing anyone you don’t trust on property. Some unethical contractors could even create damage to get the job.
- Watch out for high-pressure sales tactics such as offering “deep discounts” and “deals” if they are hired right away.
- Get a copy of their insurance. If you decide to hire the contractor, ask to be added as a “certificate holder.” Every contractor should have liability insurance, it protects you and the crew. Contractors should also have workers compensation insurance, so in the event of an accident, it’s the contractor’s legal responsibility for the crew.
- Look up the business’ online reviews to make sure the company is well rated.
- Are warranties offered? Get a clear description of what the manufacturer’s warranty is and what the contractor’s warranty is.
- Get a written contract that clearly outlines the price and work to be done.
- Do not pay for the work in advance. It’s a red flag if a contractor asks for full or half payment upfront.
- Get at least three quotes from prospective contractors so you’re being proactive in making an informed decision rather than reacting to sales pressure.
Griffin Roofing & Construction are licensed General Contractors. We have been locally owned and operated in Matthews since 2011. Griffin specializes in roofing, siding, windows and custom additions. We are GAF Master Elite® Contractors - only 3% of contractors qualify for this premiere distinction. We are James Hardie Contractor Alliance Members and Alside/Revere Building Products Preferred Providers. Our warranties are second to none in the market. Griffin has a proven reputation and are committed to ongoing professional training in order to ensure quality installation. Please call us today for an estimate at
(704)769-0472 or visit www.griffinroofs.com.